Farewell. The Flying Pig Has Left The Building.

Steve Hynd, August 16, 2012

After four years on the Typepad site, eight years total blogging, Newshoggers is closing it's doors today. We've been coasting the last year or so, with many of us moving on to bigger projects (Hey, Eric!) or simply running out of blogging enthusiasm, and it's time to give the old flying pig a rest.

We've done okay over those eight years, although never being quite PC enough to gain wider acceptance from the partisan "party right or wrong" crowds. We like to think we moved political conversations a little, on the ever-present wish to rush to war with Iran, on the need for a real Left that isn't licking corporatist Dem boots every cycle, on America's foreign misadventures in Afghanistan and Iraq. We like to think we made a small difference while writing under that flying pig banner. We did pretty good for a bunch with no ties to big-party apparatuses or think tanks.

Those eight years of blogging will still exist. Because we're ending this typepad account, we've been archiving the typepad blog here. And the original blogger archive is still here. There will still be new content from the old 'hoggers crew too. Ron writes for The Moderate Voice, I post at The Agonist and Eric Martin's lucid foreign policy thoughts can be read at Democracy Arsenal.

I'd like to thank all our regular commenters, readers and the other bloggers who regularly linked to our posts over the years to agree or disagree. You all made writing for 'hoggers an amazingly fun and stimulating experience.

Thank you very much.

Note: This is an archive copy of Newshoggers. Most of the pictures are gone but the words are all here. There may be some occasional new content, John may do some posts and Ron will cross post some of his contributions to The Moderate Voice so check back.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, September 21, 2009

Insurance Price Awareness

By David Anderson:


Ezra Klein at the Washington Post argues that the biggest impediement to healthcare reform is a lack of price awareness on the part of American consumers. 



The truth is we all pay, and much more than we recognize, for health care.


For many, it's among the largest investments we'll make, on par, even, with the money we spend on a house or tuck away for retirement. But while it's easy to track our stock portfolios as they tank along with the market, our outlay for health care is less obvious. Employers pay some, and so do individuals, and taxpayers. And some even hides behind the deficit. As such, few of us see the full picture. But to make sense of the proposals for reform, getting a grasp of the cost is critical.


Imagine if people who touched a hot stove felt only a small fraction of the pain from the burn. That's pretty much what's happening in our health-care system. It hurts enough that we would prefer it to stop, but the urgency is lost.


I was laid off ten days ago.  I have not received my COBRA letter yet, but I have a pretty decent idea of what the bare bones plan my family was already consuming last year will cost -- an arm and potentially a leg amputated beneath a knee.  I don't think that I am too unusual in not being able to name an exact dollar figure but being able to ball-park the figure as impossible to pay for in the individual market.  Most Americans, I think, get that.  [correction, I received my COBRA letter, and without the COBRA subsidy from the ARRA, the cost would be an arm and a leg cut above the knee]


Ezra's column is fact-filled and informative, but it jumps for Econ 101 answers in the bearing of pain question. Econ 101 predicts that the more transparently expensive something is to an individual consumer, the less it will consumed.  This is the idea behind the donut hole in the Medicare Part D, it brings the full cost of drugs to the consumer with the hope of dissuading the mildly hypochondriac from over-consuming prescriptions.  More prosaically, this is the idea behind high deducitible insurance plans as well as co-pays for emergency room visits; making the consumer bear comparably high first dollar obligations will "ensure" that services are only used when they are high value.


There are two problems with this.  The first is a problem that Ezra has repeatedly pointed out --- Americans, and people in general, are poor discerning consumers of healthcare.  People are rationally ignorant of whether or not Procedure A is a superior and more cost effective choice of treatment than Protocal B or non-treatment of a particular sympton set or disease.  I outsource my lack of plumbing knowledge to a plumber, and that is rational, and we as a society outsource our lack of medical treatment knowledge to medical professionals.  I'm inclined to listen to a professional who is trained and has seen hundreds or thousands of cases instead of attempting to treat myself by looking at a price list.


Secondly, for most people, going to get medical treatment is not fun.  It is not enjoyable.  At best it is a means to an end to do other, more enjoyable things.  Going to a doctor's office is a personally high cost activity for many relatively healthy individuals already.  It eats up part of a day, it is not particularly pleasant but it is worthwhile to go if one is already feeling gross .  The same applies for physical therapy, rehab services and most other basic medical services.  The act of receiving care is a means to an end, and not an end in and of itself.


The biggest problem with healthcare reform is not a lack of insurance price awareness.  Most people see the costs directly, maybe not fully, but at least directly, in the form of higher co-pays, higher deductibles, more hoops to jump through and higher paycheck deductions.  The problem is, as Ian Welsh notes, a failure of the elites to have their skin in the game as they are insulated from the natural course of shit happening that could be a life-changing event from something as simple as a lay-off in the middle of a nasty recession and a car accident or an expensive diagnosis. 



4 comments:

  1. Traded in on a trophey wife and am currently on COBRA with a pre-existing condition that makes it difficult to work and impossible to get insured. Since it was the ex's insurance and he's still working, I don't qualify for the subsidy. Trust me, I'm very aware of what my healthcare costs - most of my disposable income! Wish I knew what I'm going to do when the COBRA expires since I'm 6 years away from Medicare. Klein's column bugged me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this.
    I'm getting tired of writing about health care. Too many people pulling in too many directions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Kathi I am less than two years away from Medicare but have been without insurance since I was 60. There is no price for anyone between 60 and 65 and isn't eligible for a group policy.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Econ 101 predicts that the more transparently expensive something is to an individual consumer, the less it will consumed.

    However, when you get a bit past Econ 101 you learn about luxury goods (which I've heard being called "superior goods" lately). More of a luxury good is consumed as the price rises.
    I read a claim by a Nobel Prize-winning economists a week or so ago that healthcare was a luxury good. I don't believe that's the case. Contrariwise, I think the behavior of the price of healthcare is most easily explained as a necessity with price supports providing a floor.

    ReplyDelete