Farewell. The Flying Pig Has Left The Building.

Steve Hynd, August 16, 2012

After four years on the Typepad site, eight years total blogging, Newshoggers is closing it's doors today. We've been coasting the last year or so, with many of us moving on to bigger projects (Hey, Eric!) or simply running out of blogging enthusiasm, and it's time to give the old flying pig a rest.

We've done okay over those eight years, although never being quite PC enough to gain wider acceptance from the partisan "party right or wrong" crowds. We like to think we moved political conversations a little, on the ever-present wish to rush to war with Iran, on the need for a real Left that isn't licking corporatist Dem boots every cycle, on America's foreign misadventures in Afghanistan and Iraq. We like to think we made a small difference while writing under that flying pig banner. We did pretty good for a bunch with no ties to big-party apparatuses or think tanks.

Those eight years of blogging will still exist. Because we're ending this typepad account, we've been archiving the typepad blog here. And the original blogger archive is still here. There will still be new content from the old 'hoggers crew too. Ron writes for The Moderate Voice, I post at The Agonist and Eric Martin's lucid foreign policy thoughts can be read at Democracy Arsenal.

I'd like to thank all our regular commenters, readers and the other bloggers who regularly linked to our posts over the years to agree or disagree. You all made writing for 'hoggers an amazingly fun and stimulating experience.

Thank you very much.

Note: This is an archive copy of Newshoggers. Most of the pictures are gone but the words are all here. There may be some occasional new content, John may do some posts and Ron will cross post some of his contributions to The Moderate Voice so check back.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, March 27, 2010

White House Winter Garden

By John Ballard



This is symbolic of politics in Washington..
Something is better than nothing.






From the White House Blog.


We were cautiously optimistic that our hoop houses would protect the crops and were pleasantly surprised. All told we harvested just under 50lbs of produce. A modest harvest compared to what the summer had brought, but it is exciting to have been able to produce food during a long harsh winter. The lettuce and spinach are particularly sweet and delicious. We also learned a few things. For example, we planted our carrots a little too late. They were not as big as we had hoped, but the little things are tasty! We also discovered that the beds to the north side of the garden get considerably more sun the beds that the beds on south side. The sun is much lower in the sky and late in the day the southern beds are shadowed by surrounding trees. Next year, we will be sure to put plants that need more sun on the north side of the garden. Good lessons to learn, but all together a nice surprise.


6 comments:

  1. I guess you've never had a garden. You're always learning something.
    And...you would prefer nothing to something???

    ReplyDelete
  2. And...you would prefer nothing to something???
    Huh?
    I wrote that something IS BETTER THAN nothing, which means I PREFER "something" to "nothing."
    Is English your mother tongue? I know the language can be confusing for newcomers.
    The "something" to which I was alluding was a health care package which avoided single-payer and excluded any public option. A big argument is whether the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 is better than nothing at all, which I reluctantly concede it is.
    This language from the winter garden description is a perfect analogy.
    A modest outcome harvest compared to what the election summer had brought, but it is exciting to have been able to produce something like a reform bill food during a long harsh August recess winter. The insurance limitations lettuce and spinach are particularly sweet and delicious. We also learned a few things. For example, when momentum is strong, don't take a break we planted our carrots a little too late. They were not as big as we had hoped, but something is better than nothing the little things are tasty!

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, perhaps my sarcasm detector was working overtime on the subhead: This is symbolic of politics in Washington..
    Something is better than nothing. Given the generally sour Newshoggers approach to politics, one might take the second sentence to mean its opposite if it were being said sarcastically.
    And the reality of gardens is that fresh produce is delightful in winter! I was just at the Farmers' Market yesterday, sad to find that my favorite carrot vendor had run out of the winter-protected crop, so I had to go to the second-best carrot vendor. Everything one gets is a joy!
    So I guess you can be sarcastic and analogical, but then you must expect your writing to be taken sarcastically and analogically. The use of sarcasm in your response reinforces the sarcasm in the original post. Plus the context of Newshoggers generally.
    I know that subtleties like this can be confusing to newcomers to the English language, and are particularly hard to deal with in writing, when voice tones are not available. I hope that you can continue the garden analogy and learn from what didn't work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Then we're still friends!
    I'm trying to have a good attitude about this emaciated bill. When I think of what it might have been the images range from lipstick on a pig to silk purses from sows' ears.
    Or acorns and blind hogs.
    I'll keep rooting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A GREAT initiative by the first family to have a garden, we should all be taking heed and digging up and planting, good for the pocket and very healthy too.
    maturedatingonline.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful garden! I would have loved to walk there, and see all the gorgeous flowers! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete