Farewell. The Flying Pig Has Left The Building.

Steve Hynd, August 16, 2012

After four years on the Typepad site, eight years total blogging, Newshoggers is closing it's doors today. We've been coasting the last year or so, with many of us moving on to bigger projects (Hey, Eric!) or simply running out of blogging enthusiasm, and it's time to give the old flying pig a rest.

We've done okay over those eight years, although never being quite PC enough to gain wider acceptance from the partisan "party right or wrong" crowds. We like to think we moved political conversations a little, on the ever-present wish to rush to war with Iran, on the need for a real Left that isn't licking corporatist Dem boots every cycle, on America's foreign misadventures in Afghanistan and Iraq. We like to think we made a small difference while writing under that flying pig banner. We did pretty good for a bunch with no ties to big-party apparatuses or think tanks.

Those eight years of blogging will still exist. Because we're ending this typepad account, we've been archiving the typepad blog here. And the original blogger archive is still here. There will still be new content from the old 'hoggers crew too. Ron writes for The Moderate Voice, I post at The Agonist and Eric Martin's lucid foreign policy thoughts can be read at Democracy Arsenal.

I'd like to thank all our regular commenters, readers and the other bloggers who regularly linked to our posts over the years to agree or disagree. You all made writing for 'hoggers an amazingly fun and stimulating experience.

Thank you very much.

Note: This is an archive copy of Newshoggers. Most of the pictures are gone but the words are all here. There may be some occasional new content, John may do some posts and Ron will cross post some of his contributions to The Moderate Voice so check back.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Swine Flu Spreading

By BJ Bjornson


It appears that the swine flu is expanding its reach internationally.


Nova Scotia and British Columbia have confirmed cases of swine flu, while new cases of the infection have been found in New York City, as health officials around the world test for a virus linked to a more serious outbreak in Mexico.


Nova Scotia's chief public health officer, Dr. Robert Strang, said Sunday the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg confirmed late Saturday that four young people in the province are recovering from "relatively mild" cases of the disease.


. . .


B.C.'s Centre for Disease Control on Sunday confirmed cases of swine flu involving two people from the province who recently returned from Mexico.


. . .


New Zealand Health Minister Tony Ryall confirmed on Sunday a group of Auckland college students who returned from a three-week visit to Mexico on Saturday "likely" have swine flu.


"Ten of the 13 students who had flu-like symptoms have proven positive for influenza A and the swine flu is a subset of influenza A," he said. So we're going to send the swabs to Melbourne for further analysis. We should have that information in a matter of days, but our officials here think it's highly likely they have."



This is likely to be for more widespread than already reported due to the relatively large number of people who travel to Mexico. So far, however, I haven't seen any indication that the cases outside of Mexico are proving fatal, which is good news and may indicate that there are other environmental factors responsible for the Mexican fatalities.


If not, this could get pretty ugly, as unlike the SARS outbreak in 2003, we know that flu is pretty easily transmissible.


Anyway, most of this is speculation at this point. Over at TMV, the resident doctor has a good run-down of advice for everyone. Top of the list: Don't Panic!



7 comments:

  1. Well...I guess NObama will take some advise from G W Bush...."use hand sanatizer after you shake hands with people"......NOBAMA laughed and insulted G W BUSH for those words....now who is laughing. NOBAMA ...close our borders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah wash your hands, eh. Some CBC reporters are already suggesting that we the great true North Americans may not be as effected as those other North Americans because we have "better" lungs. I'm enjoying this. Leona Aglukkaq, our Health Minister, has been on our national TV to assure us all. Love Leona Aglukkaq

    but, even better, I think we dumb Canucks are ready after SARS more than some others if it is the big one. Our guys & gals in Manitoba are working, I understand, like mad on a vaccine as I write. Me I'm washing my hands and drinking good Irish wiskey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spoke to my Dad this morning and there's two cases of swine flu in Scotland, both Mexican nationals who flew in.
    There's cases here in San Antonio, Tx. But then again, we also have an outbreak of the Victorian disease Tuberculosis among both inmates and guards in our county jail, due to poor screening. San Antonio isn't exactly a world leader in health matters.
    Regards, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Cheryl, I wasn't going to mention the racist SOBs trying to turn this into a, "keep the brown people out", thing, but hey, slip on over to Hot Air and I'm sure you'll find plenty of support for your views.
    Geoff,
    Oh your god, I forgot Leona was our Health Minister. Granted she probably has no more power than any other minister in Harper's government, basically a spokesperson and helpfully positioned scapegoat if things go bad, but that did send a shiver down my spine for a moment. Otherwise, I agree that the experience with SARS should help with dealing with this should it become worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah BJ she, Leona, is it for us and I know she is only a spokesman - should that be spokeswoman or spokesperson yes I know I'm an asshole - but I like her. Sorry I'm really showing my wrong sides and I should be clear she is a good friend. So different from people in the USA, eh where we here do actually know people in the gov't either as political or non-political officials but rarely write clearly that we do know them, eh..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be interesting to see what if any impact this swine flu issue has on the desire of some to increase urban density afterall some will argue that increased density will help diseases spread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Geoff,
    I really shouldn�t be too hard on Leona. My leeriness is largely due to the massive leap in responsibility that position represents for someone new to federal politics. I mean, sure, she was territorial Health Minister, but that�s in a territory of 30,000 people where there are still major outbreaks of the �Victorian disease� TB Steve mentioned above every now and again and a fairly steady infection rate 17 times the rest of the country otherwise. Not exactly something to brag about. However, unlike most of Harper�s drones, I at least know she�s an intelligent woman, so we could definitely be in worse hands.

    ReplyDelete