Farewell. The Flying Pig Has Left The Building.

Steve Hynd, August 16, 2012

After four years on the Typepad site, eight years total blogging, Newshoggers is closing it's doors today. We've been coasting the last year or so, with many of us moving on to bigger projects (Hey, Eric!) or simply running out of blogging enthusiasm, and it's time to give the old flying pig a rest.

We've done okay over those eight years, although never being quite PC enough to gain wider acceptance from the partisan "party right or wrong" crowds. We like to think we moved political conversations a little, on the ever-present wish to rush to war with Iran, on the need for a real Left that isn't licking corporatist Dem boots every cycle, on America's foreign misadventures in Afghanistan and Iraq. We like to think we made a small difference while writing under that flying pig banner. We did pretty good for a bunch with no ties to big-party apparatuses or think tanks.

Those eight years of blogging will still exist. Because we're ending this typepad account, we've been archiving the typepad blog here. And the original blogger archive is still here. There will still be new content from the old 'hoggers crew too. Ron writes for The Moderate Voice, I post at The Agonist and Eric Martin's lucid foreign policy thoughts can be read at Democracy Arsenal.

I'd like to thank all our regular commenters, readers and the other bloggers who regularly linked to our posts over the years to agree or disagree. You all made writing for 'hoggers an amazingly fun and stimulating experience.

Thank you very much.

Note: This is an archive copy of Newshoggers. Most of the pictures are gone but the words are all here. There may be some occasional new content, John may do some posts and Ron will cross post some of his contributions to The Moderate Voice so check back.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, December 11, 2009

Hanukkah, 2009

By John Ballard


Some might think it's inappropriate for a non-Jew to talk about Hanukkah, but I've been doing it for years. I consider myself an honorary Jew because during my high school years in Columbus, Georgia all the Jewish families sent their kids to the same high school where I went and a few years later when I realized that Southern Baptists, the church of my youth, were not on the side of the angels in the civil rights movement, I found refuge among my Jewish friends. After getting kicked out of my apartment and uninvited to my church, I joined Hillel and became the only goy for brunch every other Sunday.


As we Christians celebrate the Christmas season, I never forget our Jewish roots and have a deep appreciation for those traditions, both sacred and secular. (Had I learned about klezmer music earlier I may not have laid down the clarinet.)(So take a look at this, already!)




.


Yeah, I know.
That's not very spiritual.
I'm not feeling all that spiritual this morning. Besides, I got the link from one of my favorite writers, Bernard Avishai.  Here is a snip from his Hanukkah post today.





...Chanukah is Judaism at its gravest: a radical attack on all forms of idol-worship, including the worship of the love of the child.


When the Maccabees reconsecrated the ancient Temple (Chanukah means "reconsecration") they emptied it of all images�in this case, the Hellenistic statues celebrating the "gods," who personified familiar human virtues�warriors for justice, masters of the natural world, protecting fathers, fecund mothers. There may well have been images of fleshy, innocent children, too.


No wonder, as the Book of Maccabees reveals, a great many residents of ancient Jerusalem loved these statues. One could have had a "season" with them. Nevertheless, Maccabean zealots determined to make a terribly abstract point, even to kill and be killed for it: God is nameless, God is fugitive, God is silent. A kind of Jewish Taliban. True, the Maccabees were defending the God of Torah and Law. But what is law if not an expression of the silenced God?


And so Christmas is for love, Chanukah for awe....



2 comments:

  1. John, I knew we had a connection! Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Et shalom cum spiritu tuo.
    Danish you can find anywhere, but I never got my fill of lox and bagels. Or latkes.
    My favorite Jewish joke...
    Priest and a rabbi playing golf.
    Priest says to the rabbi, "My friend, we are both clergy and anything we say to one another will be strictly confidential. I want to ask you something very personal. Have you ever eaten pork?"
    Rabbi pauses and thinks.
    Finally he replies, "Yes, Father, I have. Once I ate some ham."
    The he said, "Now I want to ask you something in confidence. Have you ever been with a woman?"
    Long pause here.
    Finally the priest confessed, "Yes, Rabbi, I have. Once in my younger years I was with a woman."
    The rabbi replied, "Better than pork, isn't it?"

    ReplyDelete