Farewell. The Flying Pig Has Left The Building.

Steve Hynd, August 16, 2012

After four years on the Typepad site, eight years total blogging, Newshoggers is closing it's doors today. We've been coasting the last year or so, with many of us moving on to bigger projects (Hey, Eric!) or simply running out of blogging enthusiasm, and it's time to give the old flying pig a rest.

We've done okay over those eight years, although never being quite PC enough to gain wider acceptance from the partisan "party right or wrong" crowds. We like to think we moved political conversations a little, on the ever-present wish to rush to war with Iran, on the need for a real Left that isn't licking corporatist Dem boots every cycle, on America's foreign misadventures in Afghanistan and Iraq. We like to think we made a small difference while writing under that flying pig banner. We did pretty good for a bunch with no ties to big-party apparatuses or think tanks.

Those eight years of blogging will still exist. Because we're ending this typepad account, we've been archiving the typepad blog here. And the original blogger archive is still here. There will still be new content from the old 'hoggers crew too. Ron writes for The Moderate Voice, I post at The Agonist and Eric Martin's lucid foreign policy thoughts can be read at Democracy Arsenal.

I'd like to thank all our regular commenters, readers and the other bloggers who regularly linked to our posts over the years to agree or disagree. You all made writing for 'hoggers an amazingly fun and stimulating experience.

Thank you very much.

Note: This is an archive copy of Newshoggers. Most of the pictures are gone but the words are all here. There may be some occasional new content, John may do some posts and Ron will cross post some of his contributions to The Moderate Voice so check back.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, May 17, 2010

Hawks Hope Iran Doesn't Mean It

By Steve Hynd


Iran has concluded a deal with Turkey and Brazil to send 1,200kg of its low-enriched uranium to Turkey to hold in escrow, to be replaced - if all goes well - with medium-enriched uranium suitable for its research reactor.



Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said 1,200kg of low-enriched uranium would be shipped to Turkey, and that Iran would notify the IAEA "within a week".


Under the deal, Iran has said it is prepared to move its uranium within a month of its approval by the so-called Vienna Group (US, Russia, France and the IAEA).


In return, Iran says it expects to receive 120kg of more highly enriched uranium (20%) - a purity well below that used in the manufacture of nuclear weapons - within a year.


If the deadline is not met, Iran says Turkey "will return swiftly and unconditionally Iran's low-enriched uranium".


It's a variant on an original UN-approved plan and as such it throws a definite spanner in the works of sanctions plans. The White House is currently treading a careful line, since Obama backed the original deal, saying:



The proposal announced in Tehran must now be conveyed clearly and authoritatively to the IAEA before it can be considered by the international community. Given Iran�s repeated failure to live up to its own commitments, and the need to address fundamental issues related to Iran�s nuclear program, the United States and international community continue to have serious concerns.  While it would be a positive step for Iran to transfer low-enriched uranium off of its soil as it agreed to do last October, Iran said today that it would continue its 20% enrichment, which is a direct violation of UN Security Council resolutions and which the Iranian government originally justified by pointing to the need for fuel for the Tehran Research Reactor. Furthermore, the Joint Declaration issued in Tehran is vague about Iran�s willingness to meet with the P5+1 countries to address international concerns about its nuclear program, as it also agreed to do last October. 


Press Sec. Robert Gibbs also reasserted the administration's commitment to a "diplomatic solution" to the West's concerns over Iran's nuclear program, in co-operation with its P5+1 partners.


However, you couldn't tell that from reading the news and august opinion surrounding the Iranian deal's announcement. Rather than celebrate a possible breakthrough, Glenn Kessler, reliable stenographer of the hawkish Clinton contingent, wrote:



More important, the deal gives China -- a veto-holding member of the Security Council long reluctant to support new sanctions -- an excuse to delay or water down any new resolution.


The best hope for U.S. officials is Iranian intransigence. The Iranians could haggle over the details and implementation of the agreement until it collapses, much in the way it first agreed to a swap deal with the United States and its allies before backing away.


Iran now must present a letter to the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna explaining the details of the transaction, which U.S. officials privately hope will begin the process of unraveling it.


And the French foreign minister Bernard Kouchner has said the IAEA must rubber-stamp the deal before it will be acceptable - while another anonymous EU diplomat (likely French) indicated that there will be pressure on the IAEA to nit-pick and nix the deal.


What looks likely to me is that the White House will rely on the French and pressure at the IAEA to give it political cover for saying the deal shouldn't interfere with any sanctions push. Yet that appears to be a policy of determindly looking a gift horse in the mouth.



Ivan Oelrich, vice president of the Strategic Security Program at the Federation of American Scientists (FAS) and FAS researcher Ivanka Barzashka told Danger Room that the technical difference between the October deal and the May deal is small � and that Iran is offering up a key opportunity for engagement.


�A ton of LEU [low enriched uranium] is a crude nuclear weapons� worth of material,� said Barzashka. �It�s safe to say that you�re reducing the number of nuclear weapons Iran can make in the future.�


Oelrich and Barzashka point to a second problem, however: Iran has used stalled negotiations about the research reactor start enriching a small quantity of uranium to 20 percent. In theory, if Iran develops a significant stockpile of 20 percent uranium � something it has not done yet � it would cut in half the time to reach 90 percent. �That�s an important thing to avoid,� Oelrich said.


According to calculations by Barzashka and Oelrich, if Iran had shipped out a ton of material back in October, it would have left them with around 800 kg as feedstock, not enough to acquire a significant quantity of highly enriched uranium. If they continue to enrich uranium, however, they might have enough by October to ship out a ton and still have enough material left over to begin enriching a bomb�s worth of the stuff.


Thus far, however, Oelrich and Barzashka argue that the effort to enrich to 20 percent is modest, and has more political than technical meaning. �We think it�s largely symbolic at this point,� Oelrich said.


And FAS is encouraging the State Department to take a serious look at the proposal. �This whole deal was supposed to be a step forward for engaging Iran, not to stop its enrichment program,� Oelrich said. �Frankly, we�re about to go over to the State Department today and try to convince them to accept Iran�s timing of their proposal.�


I'm trying to follow the hawkish logic here. Sanctions won't delay Iran's nuclear program much if at all and are unlikley to even have a significantly brow-beating effect on Iran's economy in the longer term - Iran has been feverishly upgrading its petroleum refining capacity and taking other pre-emptive measures to soften any effects. They won't work but they'll consolidate Iran's polulation behind the hardliners and even increase the chance of war if the dumb and illegal idea of a unilateral or "coalition of the willing" petroleum embargo goes through. Yet the hawks are hoping - hoping - Iran makes a misstep so that they can put sanctions back on track while simultaneaously working to break any chance of diplomacy working at the IAEA.


The only conclusion I can come to is that they want negotiations to fail, want sanctions to fail in turn and thus be left with the last option - war. Not for any reason to do with Iran's nuclear program, which wouldn't be delayed by more than a couple of years by any attack short of full invasion, but because "real men go to Tehran", as the neocon war cry once had it. Lunacy.



No comments:

Post a Comment