Farewell. The Flying Pig Has Left The Building.

Steve Hynd, August 16, 2012

After four years on the Typepad site, eight years total blogging, Newshoggers is closing it's doors today. We've been coasting the last year or so, with many of us moving on to bigger projects (Hey, Eric!) or simply running out of blogging enthusiasm, and it's time to give the old flying pig a rest.

We've done okay over those eight years, although never being quite PC enough to gain wider acceptance from the partisan "party right or wrong" crowds. We like to think we moved political conversations a little, on the ever-present wish to rush to war with Iran, on the need for a real Left that isn't licking corporatist Dem boots every cycle, on America's foreign misadventures in Afghanistan and Iraq. We like to think we made a small difference while writing under that flying pig banner. We did pretty good for a bunch with no ties to big-party apparatuses or think tanks.

Those eight years of blogging will still exist. Because we're ending this typepad account, we've been archiving the typepad blog here. And the original blogger archive is still here. There will still be new content from the old 'hoggers crew too. Ron writes for The Moderate Voice, I post at The Agonist and Eric Martin's lucid foreign policy thoughts can be read at Democracy Arsenal.

I'd like to thank all our regular commenters, readers and the other bloggers who regularly linked to our posts over the years to agree or disagree. You all made writing for 'hoggers an amazingly fun and stimulating experience.

Thank you very much.

Note: This is an archive copy of Newshoggers. Most of the pictures are gone but the words are all here. There may be some occasional new content, John may do some posts and Ron will cross post some of his contributions to The Moderate Voice so check back.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm a bad blogger

By Fester:

I'm a bad political blogger.  I had the option of watching President Bush's farewell address.  I declined.  I had higher priorities.  My daughter first needed some tummy time and horrendously sung lullabyes and then it was bath time.  She did well in her bath, she did not fuss and we made it a game to grab and wash a limb.  I could have done tummy time concurrently with watching TV.  I could have pushed back the bath by fifteen minutes.  I just did not care to do so. 

What ne, interesting or inspiring information would I have learned.  Some grand argument that Iraq was worth it, Osama Bin Laden had been caught and that Milton Friedman's hack disiciples are really correct on ways to both optimize economic growth and minimize the Gini co-efficient of income distribution?

Really?  If I could have expected that, then I needed to stop having three and four day binges in the middle of the week.

Instead, all I could expect was another moment of whining and sniveling Daily Show fodder for why goddamn it, George W. Bush was a good president in today's light and a great, Lincoln-esque President once the wingnut welfare machine can work him over.  If you exclude X, Y, and Z he was very successful, dontcha know.  Except that X, Y, and Z were his signature moments and policies. 






1 comment:

  1. Would anyone who still had two brain cells to interact disagree with your priorities? I think not.

    ReplyDelete